Who would have guessed it would take one true-crime podcast and a dedicated fanbase to break podcasts from the world of niche into mainstream culture?
There’s no denying that ever since Serial S1 burst onto the scene in 2014, podcasts have experienced an ever-growing wave of appreciation and consumption. Major brands from every industry are venturing into the podcast network space, looking to engage with customers across new mediums in a way to bolster brand connection and authentic relationship.
Podcasts are a great way to communicate to your audience and grow it in scale. Relatively cheap to produce and without gatekeepers holding audiences at bay, no matter your niche or industry, there’s a space for your voice in the mix.
Now… about the podcast production process.
Bringing a podcast to life is one of those things that seems ‘so easy’ – until you kick into gear. Organizing guests, checking the quality of your audio, turning raw audio into a quality podcast episode, making sure the episode is available to audiences across every touch point – there’s a lot that goes into the actual workflow of bringing even a single episode to life.
To make your foray into Podcast Land as smooth as possible, we present to you our latest Automation Hack: Hands-Free Podcast Production Process.
Another brainchild of the great Ari Meisel from Less Doing, this Automation Hack comes together through the following workflow…
- Podcast guest books a timeslot with Calendly
- Guest gets a voicemail from from Slybroadcast
- Notification goes to VA service to send gift to guest and take note of social media details
- Interview completed using Zencastr
- File saved to Dropbox
- Podcast shared with producer for editing (e.g. Podfly)
- Recording shared with Libsyn for aggregation
- VA service is notified when final files are ready, creates Waave files to post on Instagram, and emails the guest with links and a thank you message
- Repurpose.io takes the recording and creates a YouTube video and sends the audio to Temi for transcription and to Dropbox
- VA service adds to Slideshare
Ari shares: ‘The process is fairly complex, but not complicated. There are different moving parts, for sure, but my sole involvement is the recording of the content and that’s it! So I make it, then I don’t touch it again. If you can get out of the way of the process, you will find that your ability to produce quality content increases 10 fold.’
Get out of your own way and get into the podcast game with this Hack that’s all about bringing great content to your audiences with minimal work.